Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Borgata NL500

Went to the Borgata for a few hours this week. NL 300 was packed so it was a choice of short wait for 6/12 or NL 500 2/5 blinds. Well, what do YOU think I chose? :)

Same table, same seat as I sat in on 10/20 last time where I got cold-decked for an hour. Not a good sign. Bot in for 380.Young table. Recognized one player from when I played NL300 on Sat am...it's Monday afternoon and he's there? That's a pro. He's a decent player, too. Not great, but aggressive when he comes in - sometimes loose, sometimes tight, will call with his good hands on the end.

First hand, AQc. Looking good [in CO]. I raise 15. All fold. Hmmm, this table plays different [tighter] than NL300. I win $7! Woo-hoo! Feel the rush, baby. Outta my way, you weak-tight, Patchd00d-imitating pink skirt wearers! Outta...MY....way!

Two hands later, JhJd. I raise $5 UTG2. 3 callers. Interesting.Flop Qh 8h 6h. I bet 15, fold, fold, Solid-Aggressive Asian Guy re-raises me $25. Crap. Call me a weakie, but I laid it down. I'm losing to any Q, him having the flush already - calling from late position with any two little hearts even, and if he has the A or K flush draw [or AhQx] I'm almost dead. I feel terrible if any card but a J hits. I'll get him next time. [This guy turned out to be the best player at the table.]

A few hands later I get JJ again. Open-raise $10 in late position. Again get 3-4 callers. [nobody on our 'side' of the table had their bets respected.] Guy next to me was Mr. Tight Jerry-Garcia looking guy, sat out a lot of hands. He was a caller. Flop comes AsTs3c. I don't have any of that color. He bet out, got a caller, so I folded. Not happy. He won without showing, but I put him on nothing less than AJs or AQo. He played more like TJ than any [of the few] NL players I've sat with. Tight and aggressive. Every flop it seemed had a ten in it.

I finally won a hand playing JTs when it came all babies and betting out aggressively flop and turn. Guy thought and folded on turn.
Next orbit look down at AcAs in EP. Well, about time. Bet $15 again, hoping for a caller, get 3 - LP, SB, BB!Flop comes Ah9s8d. Nice. I bet $20, figuring this is the perfect place to underbet the pot. LP calls, fold, fold. Turn comes Kc. Perfect. I hope LP has AKo or KQs or something.I accidentally string-bet $50 - 25 and 25. No go. I rarely ever make this mistake. So I bet $25 - I figure, eh, no problem. He's calling anyway, right?Older Guy raises me back $100!I bark out 'All-in' faster than Thome turns on a belt-high fastball. I'm in for probably about $400, maybe a touch less, like 350.Shockingly, he calls.
I can't wait to see it, hoping he doesn't have a draw like JT. He flips 99 and everyone Ooohs! when I flip the set of Aces. No quads and I take home a big pot. Several comments from around the table after that about how I played AA perfectly that time - not including the string bet as they knew I meant to be $50. He was calling anyway with his set of 9s, and he said so afterwards - I got his whole stack and he rebought.

Next hand Jerry Garcia crushes Young Pro with Tens full to beat another pocket Aces! Glad I got my hand when I did, because it would have been a tough laydown that I probably wouldn't make.Right before I left I got pocket 9s, raise $5, 4 callers, from EP. Flop came J97o. Sweet. I bet $15 again. Other Asian guy calls. Turn is a Q. I bet $40. Asian guy thinks, thinks, thinks, mucks, asks if I had a straight. I say nope, a set. He says 'That Q really hurt you then, I was definitely calling unless a Q or T came.'A lotta guys were playing KTo and QTo, even.

A huge, huge pot [2000+?] was split when both guys had trip Ts with Q kicker. After that is when I started playing Any Ten because 40% of the flops had 1 or 2 tens in it. I folded T3o one time because even Bad Me can't play that, flop came KT3o, a huge pot developed, and KQ won it with top pair. :)

Anyhoo, I bluffed out a guy heads-up for small, right before the BB came back to me and left. Up $500+.As the dealers at the Taj have been saying, "Those NL games at the Borgata are squishy-soft." Other than Young Pro, I'd say there were only two players at the table who were better than average - Tight Asian guy and Jerry Garcia dude. Rest of them were 20 somethings for the most part killing an afternoon. Maybe staying there, maybe a week off, maybe they work night or swing shift, who knows?

I thought I played well, the cards helped, I continue to improve my read on people live, and the only hand I wonder about is the first JJ hand with the three heart flop. MUBS? Half our flops had three of a suit if no Tens were there so lotsa guys were playing even 85s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home