Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Labor Day short session at Trop - Big Laydown or MUBS?

Played only a few hours of NL$500 on Sat. Lost 110, eh, no biggie.Started with 4 outta 5 hands I had to play, and I don't like starting that way. Won a big pot and lost a bigger one for a small loss in the first orbit, I got 99, TT, 88, AKs, so the opposite of last time I played.

Made top set of 9s on turn for a big pot. Later I dragged about $350 with KK v TonySoprano overplaying his JJ on a 963Q board. He called me all the way down after I raised him pf.

So there's a very nice Indian man on my left, I'll call him Anand for short. He seems skilled, not trappy at all, bets his good hands hard, is happy to chat with me as I take the empty seat next to him. We are commenting on the table, I know 4[!] of the players there, so I fill him in and he fills me in on the rest. [I didn't mind giving advice on 3 of them who are obvious very tight TAGs.]

We end up in several pots together, splitting one with AQo for a chop, he wins a few big ones, I win several mid-sized ones from him. Very nice guy, from his comments is used to playing in bigger games - mentions $3k and $5k buy-ins, etc, seems like he has a nice bank.

Here is the hand:I get A6h in the small blind. AFter 4 limpers, I complete, Anand checks in the BB. Flop comes 754o.
I bet small as table was mostly passive except for TSoprano, Anand calls and mentions to me so only I can hear, "I got no hand but an extremely good draw!"Hmmm, okay. Duly noted.
I have the OESD obviously.Folded around to TSoprano in LP, he calls. Just the 3 of us.

Turn is a Q. Check, Anand checks, TS bets like $30 into a $75 pot, I call figuring Anand will drop and I can stack TS if I hit, Anand calls again. $165 pot.
River is the 8. Excellent. I check, intending to CR Soprano's LP bet. Anand checks, Soprano bets $75, I raise to $150, and Anand goes all-in for his last $700, so $550 more to me!
Soprano folds instantly. I immediately put him on a set of some sort. Okay, I got 2nd nuts. What do you do here?

It's hard to believe Anand has 96 here, but that is totally consistent with how he played the hand, he got a free flop and his comments on the flop to me when he called. I'm thinking real hard. I am chopping this pot at best. In fact, if Anand just had the 6, I think he would just call here, to be friendly.

Observing him, he looks very happy and comfortable in his seat, as if inviting the call. No stone face either, more...serene, hopeful almost. He shoved his chips in quickly as well, as if he couldnt' wait to get them in there. What do I do here?

I take some more time and observe him outta my left eye. He's very relaxed. He's almost smiling at the consternation he's caused at the table. I cannot get away from the feeling he has 96 and was calling along in an attempt to triple up to $2k or so.

But I can't believe I'm considering folding to a possible 96 in the BB. What would you do?I Folded. As Scotty Nguyen say, 'Big, big laydown.' Anand didnt' show but I am 95% convinced he had 96 there in the blind. Soprano revealed his set of 7s after I folded.

Maybe I was wrong, but I am learning to trust my intuition more at these live games with skilled players. Online, I autocall without a read. Live, with no read, I autocall. What do you think of the hand and my decision?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it wasn't for his previous comment I call may be warranted. But when he says that he has an extremely good draw he must be talking about more than simply OESD. Although the fact that the 8 gives him the nuts doesn't turn an OESD into an extremely good draw in my mind.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home